Top 5 Nutritious and Delicious Lunch Recipes
200g halloumi cheese cut into 1cm slices
Butternut squash or sweet potato
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Place the sliced butternut squash or sweet potato on a baking tray and place in the oven for 40 minutes until slightly brown and cooked through. Allow to cool.
2. Slice the capsicum and have cold on salad or if preferred pop into oven to roast with the butternut squash or sweet potato.
3. Put 2 handfuls of spinach leaves in a bowl with the slices of squash/potato, capsicum and cashew nuts.
4. Grill the halloumi for 1 minute each side or pop in a hot frying pan until cheese softens.
5. Add the halloumi to the salad and toss together.
6. For dressing add a balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil with a squeeze of lemon. Also add a dollop of hummus for added texture.
Wrap it Up
Wraps are a good way to use up all the leftovers from the night before.
Chicken or turkey
1. Cook chicken or turkey and shred into pieces.
2. Place the wholegrain wrap flat and smear hummus through the center.
3. Add the chicken pieces on top of the hummus along with the spinach, tomato, avocado and crumble the feta cheese over the top.
4. Wrap up closed and toast if desired.
Tuna Pasta Salad
Whole grain pasta of choice
2 tsp of non-fat Greek yogurt
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. Boil the pasta of choice in large pot until cooked. Drain and leave to cool.
2. Combine the non-fat Greek yogurt, chopped basil, olive oil, finely chopped garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a blender until smooth.
3. Toss the sauce, pasta, tuna and roasted red capsicum together in a bowl.
4. Store in fridge in closed container for lunch.
Carrot and Coriander Soup
As the winter creeps in the days are getting colder. Soup is always a good lunch staple this time of the year.
1 brown onion
1 handful of fresh coriander
1 tsp of ground coriander
1.2l vegetable or chicken stock
1tsp vegetable oil
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a big pot, add the onions, chopped carrots, garlic and fry for 5 mins until they begin to soften. Stir in the ground coriander, salt and pepper to season.
2. Add the stock of choice and bring to the boil, cover the pot and simmer for 20mins or until the carrots are tender then pop in the fresh coriander.
3. With a hand blender blitz all the ingredients together.
4. This can be stored in the freezer in containers to heat up when needed. Serve with wholegrain bread.
2 mountain bread rice wraps
4 bean mix (chickpeas, red & white kidney beans, butter beans)
Black pepper to season
Grated mozzarella cheese
- Add the 4 beans, tuna and mix together in a bowl and season with black pepper.
- Lay the rice wrap out flat and spread the mix over the wrap and add the spinach and grated mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cover with the second wrap on top and place on a hot oil less pan for one minute each side.
- Allow to cool or enjoy while warm.