Turmeric is a flowering plant of the Curcuma Longa plant which is a member of the ginger family and is vastly found in India. This spice is traditionally used for cooking however let’s explore the amazing beauty uses and wellness benefits that you may not have known of!
Turmeric is one of the most frequently mentioned spices in the wellness world for its anti-inflammatory qualities. This is due to its bioactive component commonly known as curcumin which targets these anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Some other benefits include:
- Skin conditions – it’s antioxidants properties are proven to treat skin conditions such as psoriasis.
- Arthritis – as it is a powerful anti-inflammatory, turmeric treats and manages arthritis by controlling swelling and joint pain.
- Obesity – naturally promotes weight loss
- Gastrointestinal – can assist in conditions such as IBD ( Inflammatory Bowel Disease) and ulcerative colitis.
So you may be thinking, what can turmeric do for my wellness and how is it related to beauty? Well, you’ll be happy to know that turmeric has many skin benefits! As mentioned above, turmeric contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. In fact, 5-8 times stronger antioxidants than vitamin E and 10 times more effective than vitamin C! All these components contribute to slowing down cell damage which can help reduce pigmentation to even out skin tone and can also provide a natural glow to your skin. This is why turmeric works so well!
Turmeric is also known to:
- Heal wounds – decreases inflammation and oxidation. Allows for wounds to heal quicker.
- Acne scarring – targets your pores and calms the skin as well as helping with breakouts.
Turmeric is capable of preventing development of free radicals. This works by blocking oxidising capabilities of metals in the body.
- Anti ageing – slowing down free radicals also slows down the ageing process.
- Protects your body from various chronic diseases.
- Healthy heart – removes oxidised cholesterol from the body and reduces oxidative stress which is the key reason for heart problems.
Due to turmerics low bioavailability your metabolism will burn it off quickly before your body absorbs much of its properties that’s why it’s important to take a little serving at one time (1/2 teaspoon is enough!) You can add turmeric to any food or drink or even create a face mask. Due to it’s strong yellow/orange colour, the mask can temporarily stain the skin but don’t worry this will fade!
Try this face mask for glowing skin.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of organic raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of milk or yogurt
- 1 drop of fresh lemon juice (helps brighten the skin!)
Mix all of these ingredients in a bowl and apply the mask to your face. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes then rinse with warm water. By applying this mask twice a week, consistently you will be on your way to brighter, glowing skin!
Another great way to incorporate turmeric into your diet is by adding it to a smoothie! This is a great way to disguise the taste of the spice, if you’re not to fond of how it tastes alone. Also, by adding turmeric to smoothies such as the one below, you will absorb so many more nutrients and antioxidants that help promote healthy skin.
‘Tropical Turmeric’ Smoothie
- 1 cup of kale
- 1/2 cup of chopped mango
- 1/2 cup of chopped pineapple
- 1 tablespoon of fresh raw ginger
- 1/2 juice of a fresh lemon
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 serving of original marine collagen
- 1 cup of coconut milk (or any other plant based milk)