Brittany Darling is Vida Glow's Resident Nutritionist
Visit Brittany's website www.wholefoodhealing.com.au
Follow Brittany on Instagram for her latest tips and recipes, here.
Is Your Skin is Dehydrated or Lacking Oil?
Coming to the end of summer, it's likely that your skin is feeling a little dry, flakey and possibly even a bit itchy. Skin dryness can be caused by excessive over exposure to the sun, hot showers, chlorine or too much time in the sea, excessive use of soaps, air-conditioning, not drinking enough fluids plus more.
There is two different causes for skin dryness:
- Skin lacking water content
- Reduced oil (sebum) production
Tips for Combating Dry Skin
- Drink 3-4 sips of water every 10 minutes during the day rather than consuming water all in one go.
- Avoid excess coffee or alcohol
- Ensure adequate magnesium intake as it improves cellular hydration
- Studies have shown that marine collagen improves water hydration levels in the skin. Take 1-2 sachets of Vida Glow daily.
- Reduce salt intake
- Ensure adequate intake of essential fatty acids. Dietary sources include oily fish, avocados, nuts, seeds, Vida Glow's Beauty Blend, and extra virgin olive oil.
- Reduce use of heaters and air conditioning, when possible.
- Long hot showers draw moisture out of your skin. Have shorter cooler showers when possible.
- Exfoliating will help remove dead skin cells that leave your skin looking dry and dull. I recommend daily body brushing or using an exfoliating mitten.
- Your skin needs moisturiser but you shouldn't feel as it you need to apply it all the time. Ideally you would apply a face or body moisturiser once daily. Over moisturising can alter the skins natural sebum production as can over cleansing.
- Collagen is one of the most abundant components of the dermis, the layer of skin between the superficial layer of the skin (epidermis) and the subcutaneous tissue. The sebaceous glands, lymphatic tissues, blood vessels and sweat glands are all situated in the dermis. Oral collagen supplementation such as Vida Glow's marine collagen, can help to maintain optimal functioning of the dermis and the health of the skin.
I am a nutritionist and herbalist providing nutritional counselling focusing on natural and non-inva-sive alternatives for optimum wellbeing. All the information provided in this blog is general and not to be used without the guidance of a healthcare professional.
Whilst I am highly qualified and experienced in nutrition, I am not a medical doctor and therefore I do not diagnose, treat or give medical advice in relation to any medical conditions nor do I claim to do these things. You should consult your medical practitioner in regards to your conventional treat-ment or medication or conditions requiring medical attention and inform them of any fitness, dietary or supplement changes could affect any illness. Any recommendations for laboratory tests, diet or nutritional supplements made will be to support and not replace any medical treatment that you may be receiving.
You retain my services and in order to maximise the benefits received from my advice, you agree to provide a summary of medical and non-medical health care services that I am engaging along with a complete description of my health history and current conditions. You also agree to provide accurate feedback about the results of my treatment and other complementary actions that you pursue.