By Rebecca Gawthorne – Dietitian & Nutritionist
Us Australians love summer. Hair gets lighter. Skin gets darker. Water gets warmer. Drinks get colder. Music gets louder. Nights get longer. Life gets better.
Although your hair may think otherwise! Unless you look after your hair, summer can be your hair’s worst enemy. Long summer beach days spent in the hot sun and salty water can turn your beautiful, nourished locks into to a brittle, dry mess of unruly frizz and knots. The harsh UV’s can even damage your hair colour, causing brunettes to become dull and blondes to turn a brassy yellow.
So what can you do to protect your hair without needing to stay indoors or wear a cover on your head all summer?
Try these 5 essential beach hair care tips for treating your hair this summer:
- Use natural oils – Apply a tablespoon of coconut or almond oil onto your hair before you go to the beach. Rub it into your palms and then spread it through your hair from the ends upwards. The oils will penetrate into your hair fibres making them smooth. This will help protect and nourish your hair while in the hot sun, preventing it from becoming a frizzy mess.
- Protect from UV rays – Like your skin, your hair needs protection from the harsh UV rays too. Protection is better than cue when it comes to your hair, so try wearing a hat and use a shampoo and conditioner with UV protection. If you can’t find a shampoo with UV protection, a sneaky trick is to comb your fingers through your hair after you have applied sunscreen to your body.
- Avoid heat styling tools – Blow-drying and straightening of your hair in summer will only add to the frizz and brittleness caused by the sun and sea. Toweldry your hair and if you must style it, choose a low heat setting and always use a heat protector spray. Remember soft beach babe waves are gorgeous in summer, so try popping your hair up in a messy bun after swimming in the ocean for an easily transition into soft waves without heat styling.
- Continue your usual hair care regime – Just because you’re on summer holidays, doesn’t mean your usual hair care needs to be on holidays too. Wash your scalp and hair properly, especially after swimming in the ocean. Comb your hair with a wide toothcomb regularly and use a hair mask once a week. You can make your own hair mask from a combination of natural oils coconut or avocado and add extras like honey, milk or egg. Or try the fabulous Hello Hair
- Feed your hair – To keep your hair healthy, strong and nourished, you need to feed it healthy food. Good fats from fish, nuts, avocados and seeds will lock in the moisture in your hair and help protect it from the summer heat whilst seasonal fresh fruits will provide your hair with vitamins and minerals to keep it luscious. Remember to drink lots of water too. The salty ocean can dehydrate your hair, so you need to drink even more water to keep your hair from drying out. A collagen supplement like Vida Glow will give you that extra boost you need during summer.