Did you know that the same natural ingredients you use to cook with can also work wonders for your skin? So why not try making your own homemade face masks? Face masks can help hydrate the skin, remove excess oils and help improve the appearance of your pores. Get yourself into a regular face mask routine, and your skin will look smoother, clearer and younger-looking.
Here are our top 5 face masks to try out:
Lemon is one of the best ingredients that you can use to promote clear skin. They are enriched with vitamin C which boosts collagen production promoting skin elasticity, and citric acid which helps treat acne and reduce the visibility of dark spots and blemishes.
- To exfoliate your skin, mix two teaspoons of lemon juice and sugar. Apply the mixture to your face, neck and hands. Scrub in a circular motion and leave on for 10 minutes. Then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Turmeric is high in antioxidants that slow down cell damage, helps with inflammatory skin conditions such as acne, dry skin, psoriasis and eczema, and diminishing wrinkles. It also helps reduce pigmentation and even out the skin tone.
- Mix flour, turmeric, honey and milk together to make a paste. Apply a thin layer to your face and leave to dry for 20 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water, scrubbing your skin gently to remove.
Honey is packed full of antioxidants to help fight wrinkles and ageing skin. It has antibacterial properties which help to prevent and fight acne, unclog pores and also draws moisture into the skin, leaving the skin feeling soft.
- Apply 1-2 tablespoons of raw honey to your face and leave to dry for 15-20 minutes. Use a washcloth and lukewarm water to wipe off. The water content in honey will moisturise the skin, making it soft and supple.
4) Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is effective in soothing the skin and reducing skin inflammations. It is used for sunburns, rashes, acne and overall skin health. It contains a range of antioxidants like beta carotene, vitamin C and vitamin E which can help keep the skin hydrated.
- Extract the gel from an aloe vera leaf. Apply the gel to your face and allow it to dry for about half an hour, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
5) Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps to balance pH and keeps your skin from becoming too oily or dry. It is a rich source of alpha-hydroxy acids which increase blood flow to the skin and minimise pores.
- Mix 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar with 1/4 cup of water and gently apply the solution to your face and let it dry.