Your skin is your body’s largest organ. So looking after your skin should be a top priority, not only for vanity reasons, but for your overall health and wellbeing.
Photo ageing in the form of sun damage, wrinkles, brown spots and sagging skin can be prevented and minimised with proper sun protection and anti-ageing treatments.
Further, the damage that is done can be repaired and in some cases even reversed.
Over exposure to the sun is one of the fastest and most aggressive causes of skin ageing. Ultraviolet light is broken down to UVA and UVB, and both penetrate through the atmosphere and play an important role in skin conditions such as premature skin ageing, eye damage and skin cancers. They are also known to suppress your immune system, reducing the ability to fight off cold and flus (is there anything worse than a summer cold?).
This can be confusing, as we know that the sun’s Vitamin D is also good for us.
The key is balance. “Common sense” prevails when it comes to being sensible in the sun.
To help stop or even reverse sun damage to skin, here are our top tips:
- Use an SPF of at least 15+, preferably 30+ and whilst at the beach 50+. Sunscreen is key to radiant and youthful looking skin. Daily use may even lower long-term risk of skin cancer. By reducing your daily sun exposure, sunscreen allows your skin time to heal and your immune system the chance to repair some existing damage. Remember that sun protection should be practiced all year round, not only in the summer months.
- The build up of dead skin cells can make the skin appear blotchy and uneven. Left overs of self-tanning products can collect in the dry areas such as ankles, knees and elbows, causing the skin to appear dirty and lose its lustre. Using a quality and natural body scrub can be immensely beneficial for your skin, leaving your skin feeling softer and smoother.
- Marine collagen. Studies has shown that marine collagen supplementation has proven to have significant improvements in sun-damaged skin. Over a 90-day treatment of marine collagen supplementation participants’ results included; increased epidermal thickness and elasticity, increased dermal thickness with an average of 83%, observations of smoother, softer skin and wrinkle decreases. If you are noticing effects of sun damage, we recommend start on two 3g servings of Vida Glow’s marine collagen a day.
- Exposure to the sun, chlorine and salt water can dry out your skin, even the heels of your feet can be affected. The good news is that marine collagen has been scientifically proven to significantly increase skin hydration, by up to 91%. Ensure you’re drinking enough water during the day. Two litres is recommended.
- Visit a professional. If you notice any unusual spots, see a dermatologist. Do not ignore them. Dermatologists can also be very helping with treating more severe skin damage of pigmentation and can administer more effective treatment options that topical facials.